Friday, February 7, 2014

Paige's Plarn Tutorial!

GOOD NEWS: I finished my geology class today - took the final, so let's cross our fingers that I do well!
BAD NEWS: I only have this weekend to recuperate from my winter session class to prepare for spring semester! This is when everything will pick up (more classes and sorority recruitment and such), and blog posts and patterns might be harder to do during an actual semester.

So before spring semester starts, I present to you my own personal "plarn" (yarn made out of plastic bags) tutorial: (note: this is very similar to my t-shirt yarn cutting tutorial, but with bags instead!)

Paige's Plarn Tutorial
Materials:
1 plastic bag (any color, any size)
Scissor

Your materials!
Step 1: Fold your plastic bag in half

Step 2: Snip off the edge seam and the handles

Step 3: Unfold your plastic bag - it should look like a tube!

Step 4: Fold your "rectangle" three times, to form a tinier rectangle

Step 5: Cut all the way through the plastic bag, in one-inch pieces
in the process of cutting
All the pieces cut together!
Step 6: Unfold your pieces and cut each piece with one scissor snip
my little plastic circle
snip snip!
the cut strip
all my strips
Step 7: Once you have all your strips, tie them together using just a simple knot


Step 8: When everything is knotted, roll up your "plarn" into a ball and enjoy!

Well, there it is! Enjoy your plarn! This is a thinner version that can be used with smaller hooks. I use my G hook mostly, since it's the only one I have at school with me!

BUT WAIT; THERE'S MORE! You might be wondering how to crochet with all of the knots, so I worked a little bit of my first round of my plarn tote motif to show you what happens when you crochet with a knot:
Crochet normally, treating the knot that its just there. See knot above
Just do another snip, snip of the knot!
Now, do you see a knot?? I don't!!
There might be a little bump, but it totally adds character to your piece!

Have a great, great, great weekend ahead!

xoxo
Paige

ps. If you have any questions about this tutorial, please feel free to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment